Eastside Medical Center Kicks Off Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
March 06, 2012
Dr. Andrew Kramer
Snellville, GA (March 5, 2012) — March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness month, and Eastside Medical Center proudly joins efforts to educate Georgian communities about the importance of prevention and screening. The American Cancer Society indicates that colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States.
“Colorectal cancer often starts as a small polyp, long before symptoms appear,” said Andrew Kramer, M.D., Chief of Surgery. “Age is the single most important risk factor for the disease. The key is taking healthy steps to prevent colorectal cancer, as well as scheduling regular screenings to potentially catch the disease in the earliest stages when it is most treatable.”
Early diagnosis, education and understanding the risks can help prevent colorectal cancer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the risk of developing colorectal cancer increases with age. More than 90 percent of colorectal cancer diagnoses occur in people aged 50 years or older.
Eastside Medical Center offers these tips to help Georgians lower their risk of developing colorectal cancer:
- Get screened—Begin regular colorectal cancer screenings at age 50. If you have a personal or family history of colorectal cancer, talk to your physician about earlier or more frequent screenings.
- Eat healthy—Enjoy a low-fat diet with plenty of vegetables rich in fiber and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids
- Exercise—Get moving and exercise for at least 30 minutes at least 5 days per week.
- Kick the habit—If you use tobacco, quit. Avoid tobacco products if you haven’t already started.
- Avoid alcohol—If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
For more information or a free physician referral to discuss your risk for colorectal cancer, please call MedLine℠ at (800) 242-5662.
About Eastside Medical Center
Founded in 1980, Eastside Medical Center is a JCAHO-accredited, 231-bed acute care hospital located in Snellville, Ga. The medical staff consists of almost 450 physicians and more than 1200 employees. To find out more, please visit www.eastsidemedical.com.