Stuart Downs begins three-year board member term in 2016
Snellville, Ga. (October 8, 2015) – Stuart Downs, chief nursing officer of Eastside Medical Center, has been elected to serve as a board member of The American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE).
“One of the greatest opportunities facing our profession is the ability to attract and retain exceptional nurse leaders passionate about making positive changes to the healthcare delivery system. The toll nursing demands on leadership is great, but together we can set the standard for the creation of environments where nurse leaders flourish,” said Downs, DNP, MSA, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, CENP, CPHQ. “By rethinking how we recruit and retain nursing talent, we are arming ourselves with the tools to propel our profession forward and securing its future by reviving the very passion that led us to become nurses in the first place.”
Downs has served in his role as chief nursing officer since September 2013 where he oversees patient care operations for Eastside Medical Center. He is Board Certified in Nursing Administration and Healthcare Quality and has over 18 years of progressive nursing experience.
Downs joins a new president-elect, treasurer and three additional members who will serve a three-year term beginning January 1, 2016.
The American Organization of Nurse Executives is the national professional organization for nurses who design, facilitate and manage care. With more than 9,000 members, AONE is the leading voice of nursing leadership in healthcare. Since 1967, the organization has provided leadership, professional development, advocacy and research to advance nursing practice and patient care, promote nursing leadership excellence and shape public policy for healthcare. AONE is a subsidiary of the American Hospital Association.
Additional AONE elected members:
- Joan Shinkus Clark, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, CENP, FACHE, FAAN, senior vice president and system chief nurse executive at Texas Health Resources in Arlington, Texas, was elected to serve as 2016 president-elect and will then serve a one-year term as AONE president beginning January 1, 2017.
- Lamont M. Yoder, RN, MSN, MBA, NEA-BC, FACHE, chief executive officer at Banner Gateway Medical Center and Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center in Gilbert, Ariz., was elected to serve as AONE Treasurer.
- Robyn Begley, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, vice president of nursing and chief nursing officer, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Pomona, N.J., was elected to serve as board member.
- M. Lindell Joseph, PhD, RN, clinical assistant professor and MSN/CNL program coordinator, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, was elected to serve as board member.
- Rachel Behrendt, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, chief nursing officer, Banner University Medical Center, Phoenix, was elected to serve as board member.